Biblical Interpretation 2: New Testament
Biblical Interpretation 2: New Testament (4 credits)
Instructor: Ray Vander Laan
Overview: This course explores Scripture in its original historical, cultural, and geographical context. The focus is mainly on New Testament people, places, events, and themes while showing links to the Old Testament and exploring the relevance for contemporary cultures and people. You must complete New Testament Survey before taking this course.
- Know the history, culture, and geography that form the original setting of many New Testament Scriptures.
- Appreciate how archaeology and cultural studies can enhance biblical understanding.
- Know more about New Testament people, places, and events.
- Grow in the ability to use original background to understand New Testament texts and apply them to contemporary life.
- Understand key theological themes revealed in the New Testament.
Required Reading: All required reading is provided here online, so no book purchase is necessary.
- Watch the videos for each week.
- Read posted articles for each week. These articles are mostly from the archives of the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia. Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia." 1915. Articles are edited by Henry and Pam Reyenga of Christian Leaders Institute and reviewed by the CLI Staff. We feature various authors from the ISBE sources.
- Use the discussion forum to ask questions and exchange ideas with others.
- Take the online quiz for each unit. You will have 75 minutes to answer 20 multiple-choice questions for each quiz. Once a quiz starts, you must finish it and can't retake it. So be ready ahead of time. Each quiz covers readings and video lectures for that unit. While taking the quiz, you may use your notes and refer to articles and other materials. Tip: First answer all the questions you know. Then try to look up answers to questions you don't know. When you have entered an answer for every question, submit the quiz for grading before the 75-minute limit.
*The course has a total of 247 points: 20 points for each of the twelve quizzes and 12 points for the final feedback assignment.
A 95-100% A- 90-94% B+ 87-89% B 83-86% B- 80-82% C+ 77-79% C 73-76% C- 70-72% D+ 67-69% D 63-66% D- 60-62% F 0-59%
Your average for the course must be at least 60%. Otherwise, you will fail the course and will receive no credit.
Deadline: You have 180 days to finish the course. Complete all assignments before the final deadline, or you will be automatically unenrolled, and all course work will be removed. You will have to start over and take the course again to receive credit.
Course Forum: Each course forum is at the beginning of the course, right before the first-course content section, and has comments and questions from other students in the class. The forum is a great way to post a question or comment for other students who are currently enrolled in the course to see. Additionally, you can search the forum to see if anyone in the past has addressed or discussed the issue, question, or comment you were wanting to post about.
Accessibility: All videos in this course have a transcription.
Day 1 - 10The Time of Christ
Day 11 - 20
Day 21 - 30
The Different Voices in Judea
Day 31 - 40Adversaries of God
Day 41 - 50
Day 51 - 60
Day 61 - 70
Walk as Jesus Walked
Day 71 - 80
With all Your Heart
Day 81 - 90
Day 91 - 100
Day 101 - 110
Day 111 - 120
As you complete this tuition-free course, let's pray for and thank the Vision Partners! Their sacrificial giving supports these tuition-free courses so that those will little or no extra resources can assess high-quality ministry training.
If you are interested in becoming a Vision Partner, Click Here. Find out about the benefits of giving!
Day 121 - 150
Read the inspiring testimony of this fellow Christian Leaders Institute Student:
He is willing to follow Christ's lead!
CLI student Mitchell Hawk
"My calling in Christ has taken a huge turn since the beginning of last year (2018). I just felt this need and pull to want to know more. One random day, earlier that year, I broke down in my bedroom, got on my knees praying/begging for the Holy Spirit to take over my life and to guide me in all my decisions and walk. I downloaded a bunch of Bible apps, started listening to different pastors online and read the Bible through front to back for the first time. Since that day my "snowball" of wanting to gain wisdom, understanding, and knowledge has just been rolling down the mountain getting bigger and bigger and bigger. So here I am finding myself enrolled at Christian Leaders Institute, still not knowing where He's taking me, but I am so excited and willing to continue on this journey."
Please keep Mitchell in your prayers!
If you would like to join Vision Partners in supporting Christian leaders like Mitchell please click on the link below:
CLICK HERE to become a Vision Partner and help bring this free training worldwide
If you already are a Vision Partner we thank you for making this training possible for students like Mitchell!
Day 151 - 180
The course has ended. Please make sure all quizzes have been completed. If your work is incomplete, it is considered a drop, and you will have to take the class again in order to receive credit.
Our staff will be using this time to review your work. Your grade should appear on your "My Home Page" in the "Course Overview" section. Please contact Helpdesk if you have any questions or did not receive your grade.